February 13, 2009

Valentine's Recipe: Sweet Buns by Mary Burton

I love baked goods, and thus relished the chance to receive a new recipe. And hey, now ya'll can make some for yourselves tomorrow! (Unfortunately, I don't have the kitchen access to try them out. But you know will eventually. No denying myself sweets.) If you want it, I also have a pretty printable version.

Check out my reviews of I'M WATCHING YOU, DEAD RINGER, and my interview with Mary Burton.



Valentine’s Day Sweet Buns

I love to have these for my sweetie on Valentine’s Day. I make up the dough in my bread maker, assemble the buns the night before and then let them rise in the refrigerator. I also mix up the icing the night before. A couple of hours before breakfast, I set the pans on the counter to rise a little more and then I bake in a 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes. Simple and so delicious!


Buns

3 ¼ cups of flour
¾ teaspoon of salt
1/3 cup of sugar
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon of vanilla
¾ cup of water
1/4 cup of low fat sour cream
¼ cup of melted butter
1 package of dry yeast

Filling

¾ cups of brown sugar
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Glaze

1 cup of powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons of milk


Place all the ingredients in the dough maker (yeast goes in the yeast dispenser). Once the dough is ready, place on a floured surface and roll out into a large rectangle—about ¼ an inch thick. Sprinkle brown sugar, cinnamon and nuts on the dough. Roll the dough in a long spiral and then slice into individual portions. Place dough on a large greased pan. Give the rolls plenty of room to rise and spread. (If you’re prepping for tomorrow’s breakfast, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. In the morning a couple of hours before serving the buns, place pans of uncooked rolls in a warm place and let them rise.) When they’ve risen to twice their original size, bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes. While they are warm, pour glaze over top and serve.

8 comments:

  1. Those are full of oooey gooey goodness, aren't they! MMM salivating...

    ReplyDelete
  2. soooooooo tasty...could eat this computer screen.

    my version of this recipe would involve a refrigerated tube that pops open when you smack it against the side of the counter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee. Maybe I should post a warning about not eating the screen. ^_^ Or drooling on the keyboard.

    And don't knock the Pillsbury.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look delicious! But heck, they seem like they are jam-packed with calories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! But too complicated for my sad culinary skills, alas...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, a calorie is just a little innocent unit of energy. We need 'em to survive, so don't knock them.

    I'm sure you could do it Lenore! Breadmaker, roll the buns, let rise, cook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I baked more, I'd be all over these. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...