May 29, 2013

Armchair BEA: Genre Fiction

Today's Armchair BEA topics are blogger development and genre fiction.  Despite the fact I've been blogging for five years, I don't think I have much to say about blogger development that hasn't already been said.  I gave a little advice last year, as well as some thoughts on monetization.

But I can say a few things about genre fiction!  I've you can't tell by the fact I'm featuring a science fiction writer (interview with Dan Krokos) today, I enjoy a good genre story.  I love vampires and time travel and mad scientists and girls with mysterious abilities.  Bring it on.  Here are a few of my favorites in various (general) genres:

Shapeshifted Fantasy

I am really loving several urban fantasy series now.  Karen Chance's stuff, Cassie Alexander's, Stacia Kane's, Diana Rowland's . . . urban fantasy is a great genre for anyone looking for fantasy catering to women.  (Not that guy-centric stuff like Jim Butcher's novels aren't great fun.)  If I'm in a more epic mood, I like INDA by Sherwood Smith.  Or perhaps ASSASSIN'S APPRENTICE by Robin Hobb.  I could go on.

For Darkness Shows the Stars Science fiction

I think TUNNEL IN THE SKY by Robert Heinlein started my YA obsession.  I adore FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS by Diana Peterfreund - also known as Persuasion in space!  And talking about "in space,"  I love John Barnes's LOSERS IN SPACE.

Romance

Blue-Eyed DevilDon't force me to choose!  Let's spread it out a bit with a historical, a contemporary, and a paranormal.  THE VISCOUNT WHO LOVED ME by Julia Quinn was my first romance and still a highlight.  I love her light, humorous romances.  BLUE-EYED DEVIL by Lisa Kleypas is set in Houston, where I live now, and just as hot as the summer temperatures.  Kleypas's historicals aren't to be missed either.  DARK NEEDS BY NIGHT'S EDGE by Kresley Cole is the best in a terrific series, full of heroines who are all fierce in their own right.  Who can resist a ghost ballerina in love with a crazy vampire?

Salem's LotHorror

'SALEM'S LOT by Stephen King

You never forget your first book by the King.  He has, of course, written a ton I could list here, but I'll stick to this one.

After all, vampires.

12 comments:

  1. I agree, as long as the book can make me believe in what happens in it's story, I'll probably like it :)

    Thanks for stopping by my Genre fiction / Better Blogging post earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even necessarily need to believe what happens, as long as I enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I love Salem's Lot, but think that Misery is my favourite Stephen King book, overall.
    There's some great recommendations here, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, Misery is fantastic. I borrowed a friend's copy, but had to buy my own after reading it.

      Delete
  3. I love the Farseer trilogy! I talk about it, Lisa Kleypas and Julia Quinn in my armchair BEA post! I love the Bridgertons series!

    I need to read For Darkness Shows the Stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad we share some fantastic books! (And looking at your post, there are even more we both enjoy.)

      Delete
  4. I bought For Darkness Shows the Stars recently, and I can't wait to read it. Persuasion is my favorite Jane Austen novel, and I'm curious to see how it's retold as a science fiction story. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! I thought the adaptation was brilliant.

      Delete
  5. I'm a huge fan of Sherwood Smith's Crown Duel and I also read her Wren series, but I have yet to move on to her adult series. Hopefully soon! I'll have to look into some of those uf authors - it's definitely a genre I need to read more of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love everything by Sherwood Smith, honestly.

      Delete
  6. I read a lot of contemporary novels; it's probably my favorite genre. However, I do like paranormal romance and I want to read more urban fantasy. I'm also interested in finding more horror that works for me. I'm trying to branch out; blogging is always helpful with that.

    I've only read one book by Stephen King; I know, I need to check out more. But it was Misery and it was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer psychological horror, myself, but it's a genre I have to be in the mood for.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...