September 11, 2014

Review: The Caller

The Caller Book three of the Shadowfell trilogy
By Juliet Marillier
Available now from Knopf BFYR (Penguin Random House)
Review copy
Read my review of Raven Flight

Flint has been a steadfast inside man for the rebellion, but when THE CALLER opens, he's ready to abandon his post because of the tragic events of RAVEN FLIGHT.  One of the perils of reading so many books is that in the year between the second and third books of the Shadowfell trilogy, I'd forgotten what tragedy had happened.  It took me a couple of chapters to get back into the swing of things, but I managed.

Neryn has accepted her position as the Caller, and she has two more teachers to seek out before she uses her powers at the Gathering to depose the wicked king.  But Flint was bringing news: the king has found his own Caller.  The rebellion's plan was already a fragile thing, and now Neryn's role is more important than ever.

The Shadowfell trilogy is an enjoyable throwback to more traditional fantasy.  THE CALLER has an accelerated pace, compared to the gentle slowness of the first two books, but it makes sense given that it covers the culmination of a rebellion.  I enjoyed Flint's increased role in THE CALLER, as well as Neryn's tendency to be more proactive as she comes into her power.  I missed Tali, however, who is busy running the rebellion elsewhere for most of the novel.

Given that I was a little lost just from the break between books, I do not recommend picking up THE CALLER cold.  It might still be an exciting story, but one that lacks the build up.  I found it a very fitting conclusion to the first two books, and only wish there could be more.  I'm curious about how the characters who survive live, after.  But that is another story, and this one is complete.  I recommend the Shadowfell trilogy to fans of Jane Yolen and Lloyd Alexander.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...